Wednesday, May 13, 2009

really annoying quote...

It's probably equalling annoying that most of my posts have a little quote at the bottom, but whatever...

I search for a new quote to use if I didn't have one in mind already. Upon searching one out for my last post, I ran across the following:

"We've had bad luck with our kids - they've all grown up." ~Christopher Morley

I get it. I get that it sucks for your kids to grow up so fast. I get that the time passes far too quickly. But what I wouldn't give for our "bad luck" to be growing up too quickly, or growing up at all.

It's one of those things you wouldn't think twice about if you weren't bereaved; I know I wouldn't have. In reading the book "The Middle Place" by Kelly Corrigan (highly, highly recommend it, by the way; coming from a girl who doesn't read much of anything other than the Bible or People magazine anymore, that's saying a lot), she spoke some of phrases that made her cringe since her battle with cancer, one of which being something "making you gag". Of course, that's not something I would've ever guessed to be offensive or hurtful to anyone. But after it coming to my attention, it makes total sense and makes me more aware of common phrases that may mean something totally different to someone else. There are a lot of these things now that I notice. It may not offend me but I'll avoid them to ease someone else's burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment