Thursday, July 2, 2009

vandalism or art

In order to keep up with the ever changing trends of photography, I follow a few different photography boards. In doing so, one photographer had posted a session titled "death of a marriage" and the session was a woman in her bridal gown, obviously distraught from the collapse of her union. Her face tear streaked, expression dark and the first image was her sitting on the gravestone of someone's whose last name happened to be "Payne". I get it. What I didn't get was what gave them the right to use this person's final resting place as a prop for their photo shoot. I bit my tongue because sometimes I don't have the energy to get into a discussion like this; where my stand would most likely be lost. It's not just some old building or abandoned home. It is where someone chose to lay their loved one, where they can come to mourn or to celebrate their life. I would be livid if someone sat on Keely's monument, nevermind if they were using it as a prop. Maybe I'm naive but I highly, highly doubt I would've ever done such a thing. I am an artist and I get that often artists break down common practice to make a point but I would never do so by blantant disrespect that I think this is showing. Maybe not vandalism but certainly disrespect.

No comments:

Post a Comment